Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 5, 2010

More tips!

As I started to venture into the coupon world I also ventured into "making it myself" mode. I now make my own laundry soap, disinfectant, wood cleaner, bread, etc. Doing all these by yourself will save you TONS of money.

Below is the link for my favorite laundry soap recipe. On average it will cost about .50 for 2 gallons of it! It works great and I even use it on my 8 month old's clothes!

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm


Here is also my favorite website for making my own household products. Its so much cheaper, easier and better for those of us with kiddos around (just in case they get into the cabinets like they sometimes do!). This site will show you how to make glass cleaner, wood cleaner, disinfectant, etc.

http://www.squidoo.com/go_green_cleaning



Did you know you can freeze almost anything?? This is another way I recommend saving money. This winter I saw some amazing sales on potatoes (.58 for a 5lb bag sometimes!) boil these, then stick them in the freezer on a cookie sheet, put them in ziploc bags with the date and you have french fries, hash browns, mashed potatoes all ready to go! Healthier than processed potatoes!
Do you get lots of tomatoes from someone you know who grows a garden in the summer? Make your own spaghetti sauce! Chop up lots of tomatoes, throw them in the crock pot with some italian seasoning let it cook then, again, throw in ziploc bags with the date and poof! Homemade pasta sauce for nights on the go!

I also recommend investing in a bread maker. You can get one for under $50 at Walmart or target. All you have to do with these is toss in the ingredients and it kneeds, proofs and bakes it all for you! Put a roast in the crockpot in the morning for supper that evening and bread in the machine and then you have supper ready as soon as you walk in the door! Use the left overs for open faced sandwiches for the next day with those pre-made mashed potatoes you did!

Saving money is all about using what you have. Look through your cabinets before going shopping and be creative and think of recipes you could make! rice? Hamburger? Cream of mushroom soup? Dinner! Cook the hamburger, add the soup and serve over rice!

Unplug all electronics/appliances you are not using. Did you know, even though you may not be using them at the time it is still using 40% of its energy that it would use if it was still on?

Use a clothes line in the summer!


Do you have any more tips? What do you do to save money?

No comments:

Post a Comment